Seleziona una lingua:
  • Italiano
  • English
  • Deutsch
  • Français
  • Español
  • Русский
[*] default_caption_text
[*] default_caption_text
[*] default_caption_text
[*] default_caption_text
[*] default_caption_text
[*] default_caption_text

Museums

Correr Museum
Correr Museum
Facing onto Piazza San Marco, this museum takes its name from the collector Teodoro Correr who, on his death, bequeathed many artefacts and paintings to the City. Of particular interest are several sculptures by Canova, the aerial view of Venice made in 1500 by Jacopo de' Barbari, an extensive collection of coins, a fine collection of bronzes and many rooms devoted to arts and crafts of Venice and to masterpieces of its painting.
National Archaeological Museum
National Archaeological Museum
Houses an important collection of classical sculpture, notably Greek, in marble and bronze, also inscriptions, a fine collection of Roman coins and pottery, and Egyptian and Assyro-Babylonian antiquities. Its origin was in the bequest of Cardinal Domenico Grimani in 1523.
The Clock Tower
The Clock Tower
An early Venetian Renaissance building (1496--99), designed by Mauro Codussi. It serves as a triumphal entrance to the Merceria, the long and ancient main street of the city that leads to the Rialto. The great 24-hour clock is decorated in blue enamel and gold, and indicates the hours, the phases of the moon and the houses of the Zodiac. The clock is surmounted by The Two Moors, bronze sculptures which sound the hours upon a large bell.
Ca' Rezzonico
Ca' Rezzonico
Houses the Museum of 18th Century Venice: fine frescoes, collections of paintings, furniture and furnishings of the century. Ca' Rezzonico is an imposing baroque palazzo on the Grand Canal.
Guggenheim Collection
Guggenheim Collection
In 1949 the collector of modern American art, Peggy Guggenheim, acquired a palazzo on the Grand Canal which became her home for 30 years. It is now the most important museum in Italy of American and European art of the 20th century, housing works of cubism, surrealism and abstract expressionism. Amongst the artists represented, to mention the most famous only, are Picasso, Dali, Magritte, Brancusi, Ernst and Pollock.
Punta della Dogana
Punta della Dogana
Like the bow of a ship, the Punta della Dogana stands at the confluence of the Grand Canal and the Giudecca, and was for centuries the Customs House of the Serene Republic. Now, fully restored by Tadao Ando and run by the Pinault Foundation (see Palazzo Grassi, above), it is a permanent gallery of contemporary art; all the works are from the Pinault Collection.
Palazzo Grassi
Palazzo Grassi
Facing onto the Grand Canal, this palazzo was acquired in 2005 by François Pinault and completely restored in a minimalistic style by the Japanese architect Tadao Ando. The palazzo thus became an ideal showcase for modern and contemporary art, all in temporary exhibitions from Pinault's collection.
Historical Naval Museum
Historical Naval Museum
Owned by the Italian Navy, this is their most important museum in Italy. The tour begins with exhibits recalling the maritime achievements of the Serene Republic, but also of the Italian Navy and of other maritime republics of Italy. One room is dedicated exclusively to the Bucintoro, the famous ceremonial gilded barge used by the Doge, and another to typical traditional boats of the Venetian lagoon, especially, of course, the gondola.
Glass Museum
Glass Museum
This is housed in the ancient Palazzo Giustinian on Murano, which was from early times the residence of the bishops of Torcello and has served as a museum since 1861. Apart from an archaeological section devoted to Roman glass, this exhibition traces the development of the art of Venetian glassmaking through the centuries.
Palazzo Mocenigo
Palazzo Mocenigo
This palazzo was given to the City by the last descendant of the noble family of Mocenigo and houses the Museum of Fabrics and Costume. It exhibits examples of 18th century Venetian costume and accessories, of the textured fabric, fine embroidery and lace that were recognised as the height of elegance throughout Europe of the time.
Museo Fortuny
Museo Fortuny
The gothic palazzo which houses this museum was acquired early in the 20th century by the painter, set designer and collector Mariano Fortuny to serve as a residence and studio for his work. It was given to the City of Venice by his widow as a museum to house his creations, his world-famous printed fabrics, paintings, furniture, lamps and photographs.
Palazzo Grimani
Palazzo Grimani
This palazzo reopened to the public in 2008 after many years of restoration. It was the residence of the noble Grimani family from the 16th century, and is unique in Venice because of its very original architecture, which incorporates Tuscan and Roman elements into the Venetian environment. Of particular note are the tribuna where the Grimani archaeological collection can be seen, the courtyard, the monumental staircase and the fine 16th century frescoes.
Museum of Natural History
Museum of Natural History
Housed in a 13th century palazzo. In 1621 it was allocated by the Republic of Venice for the use of Turkish merchants as a residence and warehouse. In 1923 it became a museum. One section is dedicated to palaeontology, with displays of fossils and dinosaurs, another dedicated to Venetian exploration which includes collections of butterflies, other insects, and fish, and yet another exploring form and function in living creatures.
Ca' Pesaro
Ca' Pesaro
This is the Museum of Modern Art. This sumptuous baroque palazzo houses 19th and 20th century Venetian, Italian and works from the Biennali, notably Klimt's Judith. 20th century sculpture from Italy and abroad and post-World-War-II art. Ca' Pesaro also houses the Museum of Oriental Art, a collection of world importance of Japanese art of the Edo period.
Carlo Goldoni's house
Carlo Goldoni's house
This most popular of Italy's playwrights, and one of Venice's most illustrious sons, was born in the elegant gothic Palazzo Centanni in 1707. In 1913 it became a museum celebrating Goldoni, and a centre for theatre studies. It houses various artefacts, documents, portraits, paintings, costumes and writings related to the playwright and his plays.
Querini Stampalia Foundation
Querini Stampalia Foundation
Set up in 1869 at the behest of the last descendant of the family, Palazzo Querini Stampalia houses more than 300 paintings of Venetian, Italian and foreign schools collected over the centuries by the family; it includes a fine collection of 18th century porcelain.
Ca' d'Oro
Ca' d'Oro
Instantly recognisable, Ca' d'Oro is one of the finest gothic palazzi on the Grand Canal, dating from the 15th century. The Gallery houses paintings from Italy and abroad, and Venetian marbles, bronzes, frescoes and ceramics.
Museum of Lace-making
Museum of Lace-making
On the island of Burano are to be found over two hundred precious examples of lace bearing witness to the development of the skill in the Venetian lagoon from the 16th century to the 20th. It is still possible to see the various techniques involved, demonstrated by Buranese lace-makers in the Museum itself.